The Area 1 Agency on Aging Advisory Council is a subcommittee of the A1AA Board of Directors. The Council is composed of community members from Humboldt and Del Norte Counties and three members of the A1AA Board of Directors. Each Council Member is elected to a three-year term and may re-apply for up to two additional three-year terms.
The Council supports the A1AA mandate to develop and coordinate community-based services for older adults in Humboldt and Del Norte counties. The Council advises the Agency as it:
- Develops and administers the Area Plan
- Conducts public hearings
- Represents the interests of older adults and their caregivers
Federal regulations require the Advisory Council to serve as an advocate for older adults. In support of this mandate, members of the Council review, comment on, and publicly advocate for or against policies, proposals, initiatives, regulations, programs or actions which affect older people.
Advisory Council meetings are held a minimum of four times a year on the third Monday. Meetings are open to the public. There is an opportunity for public comment at each meeting.
Click here to view Advisory Council Agendas
Area 1 Agency on Aging Advisory Council 2021-2022:
- President: Sylvia Shaw
- Vice President: April Joyce
- Valerie Starkey, Del Norte County Supervisor
- Steve Madrone, Humboldt County Supervisor
- Nancy Power-Stone, Redwood Caregiver Resource Center
- Jamie Jensen, Board president
- Doug Durham, Board member, Humboldt County
- Dave Zuber, Board member, Del Norte County
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE A1AA ADVISORY COUNCIL, contact Maren Rose, Planner/Contract Manager at [email protected] (707) 442-3763, ext. 208.