The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program

333 J Street, Eureka

(707) 269-1330 (confidential line)

Fax: (707) 269-1331

[email protected]

After Hours Crisis Line: 1 (800) 231-4024

Under the federal Older Americans Act (OAA) every state is required to have a Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program that addresses complaints and advocates for improvements in the long-term care system Older Americans Act.

The Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (OSLTCO) and local Ombudsman Coordinators are responsible for recruiting, training, and supervising the volunteer Ombudsman representatives, who then perform regular on-site visits to long-term care facilities. An “Ombudsman” is a trained and certified advocate.

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program serving Humboldt and Del Norte Counties is hosted by the Area 1 Agency on Aging. The program is built largely of volunteers who are trained and certified to advocate for the rights of residents of skilled nursing and residential care facilities.

Ombudsman advocacy take two forms: 1) to receive and resolve individual complaints, including allegations of elder abuse or neglect, and issues by, or on behalf of, residents and patients of long-term care facilities (residential care facilities for the elderly and skilled nursing facilities, adult residential facilities, Intermediate care facilities and adult day health programs facilities); and 2) to pursue resident advocacy in the long-term care system, its laws, policies, regulations, and administration through public education and consensus building.

To report concerns or complaints about the quality of care residents receive or other problems that affect residents of long-term care facilities, use any of these methods:

1) call (707) 269-1330

2) send an email to:[email protected](link sends e-mail)

3) call the Statewide CRISISline at 1-800-231-4024 if immediate attention is needed. The Statewide CRISISline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Ombudsman services are free and confidential. Contact the Ombudsman Program if you:

  • Have questions or concerns about quality of care or financial abuse
  • Suspect physical, mental or emotional abuse of residents
  • Need for witnessing services for advanced health care directives (For Skilled Nursing home residents only.)
  • Would like an Ombudsman to attend a resident care plan meeting
  • Would like an Ombudsman to attend a resident or family council meeting.

General Long Term Care Facility Information

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) Information and Resources

The California Department of Social Services website posts information about licensed facilities throughout California: