Maintained by registered and trained staff and volunteer counselors, this program provides free and objective information and counseling about Medicare. Counselors can help you understand your specific rights and health care options, including original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans, supplemental plans such as Medigaps, prescription drug plans, government assistance programs, and long-term care insurance.
HICAP offers free educational presentations to groups of Medicare beneficiaries, their families and/or providers on a variety of Medicare and other health insurance related topics.
We can help if you
- Wonder how to sign up for Medicare now that you are almost 65
- Are confused about all the different parts of Medicare — do you need Parts A, B, C, D
- Have questions on prescription drug coverage, co-pays, or eligibility rules
- Need help filing an appeal or challenging a denial?
- Are considering long-term care insurance
- Need a speaker for a community education event.
Individual appointments are available throughout Humboldt and Del Norte Counties with trained Counselors who are registered with the California Department of Aging.
Call HICAP at (800)434-0222 or (707)444-3000 in Humboldt and Del Norte Counties for Free Medicare Help.
HICAP counseling services are provided by Counselors registered by The California Department of Aging who are acting in good faith to provide information about health insurance policies and benefits to you, the client. This information shall not be construed to be legal advice, and the HICAP Counselor is generally not liable for acts and omissions in providing counseling to recipients of this service. (Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 9541 (f) (4). A HICAP Counselor may assist you in enrolling in a plan of your choice; however, you will be responsible for the actual plan contract.
The HICAP Counselor will NOT choose your plan for you. HICAP does not sell, endorse, or recommend any specific insurance product or plan.
- Medicare Resources
- Become a Registered Medicare Counselor
- HICAP Client Comment Form: Download the PDF or Fill Out Online